Tuesday 17 January 2012

Monday 16/1/12

Hi
Just got back yesterday for a week so will try and get some progress done.
While away I managed to track down a few of the items I need, a bit of luck on a new clutch fork gripper which I found on eBay with only a few hours to go, they are probably still made but doubt I would be able to find one. Mine had a bit of damage where the rubber locked thru the hole, I would of course have been able to re-use the old one but if a new one is available then why not.

Fork gripper

 The part number supplied on eBay is

FORD CORTINA SIERRA SAPPHIRE GRANADA GENUINE NOS CLUTCH FORK CABLE GRIPPER

Ford Finis No. 6050236  Part No. 76BB 7L588 AA             £12

I also found and lost a Gearbox mount on eBay which I am now having difficulty finding through suppliers as everyone I have spoken to say it is no longer made and that even QH have stopped making them. When I find one I will post the numbers in case any one else needs one.

I said in my last blog that I had forgot to buy any Gearbox gaskets and would make my own, well that did not happen as my gasket material was a little dried out after sitting in the loft for many a year. So I bought a set for £6.75 on eBay.


I only required the bottom 2 shown in the photo and fitted them this morning.

Next job was the removal of the hand brake rod, as I have been to the powdercoaters today I have been getting as many bits together as I can.
It took a bit of effort to get the thing apart as the rust had bound to the teflon section.
I started with a little lubrication around the teflon and steel sleeve then with a screwdriver eased out the E clip pressed into a groove, you can see it at the bottom of the sleeve. Unfortunatly mine was so far gone it just broke up on removal. These are around 12mm, plenty on sale on eBay as mixed packs for around a fiver for 2 to 300, only need 1.

Here you can see the groove where the E clip was positioned and the damage to the teflon made while trying to twist the sleeve off.
With the handbrake released the metal sleeve and spring can be pulled back.
This is where the groove in the sleeve comes in, pulling back on the spring exposes the wire cable, the groove then slips over the wire and pops off. A bit of silicon grease on the spring when it goes back together should preserve it.


Back to the bush saga, I had arranged delivery for my arrival home and they is good news and there is bad news, the good news is that the bushes made from the new mould are pretty much perfect.

Here's a set, and they fit as good as they look, I have measured against the original mould and they are spot on. Along side them you can see the new handbrake bush.
The bad news is that the other bushes that fit the upper arms are way out, I sent them a void bush to use as a template and they matched the inner bobbin section perfectly, but unfortunatly when in position they are to wide.


The bushes sent are from the Capri ARB and should be when fitted around 45.5mm wide flange end to flange end, these are around 6mm out at 51.7mm fitted. The bottom photo shows what it is and what it should be when fitted, so the saga continues. I have been in touch with Floflex who have offered a full refund on these Capri bushes but aren't prepared to go any further in tracing the correct size, they have looked once and that's it basically. So my options are to find the correct bushes and return these, or cut these to size, or to replace with void bushes. I have already spent £180 getting this far, it's no problem replacing the original voids with new as I have the correct fitting tool and the reason for removing has been accomplished as the trailing arms and panhard rod are at the powder coaters with the rest of bits and will be, I have been promised; ready for pick up on Tuesday (today) after 1600.
I shall wait till the arms return before deciding what to do. All part of the fun I guess.
Next job was to remove the springs from the lower trailing arms, they is a drilling under the arm to get a socket in, it required the impact wrench to get these moving but came of pretty easily. The arms are, as with the rest in a sorry condition, the outside will be coated but because of the drilling for the spring bolt water is allowed to get up inside and rust away happily. I doubt the blaster at the coaters will bother to try and get right up inside this drilling so I will have to spray up inside with rust converter and then waxoil when dry. I was hoping to get the springs coated as well and called the company up to double check about the rubber buffer on the top of the springs to see if it would get damaged during the process, and I got the answer I was expecting; in that the oven would shrivel the rubber up. So I will have to sand blast the springs and spray myself.

You may be able to make out the rubber at the top of the spring.
So that was about all for the first day, a trip to the powder coaters on the North side of the Tyne, a journey that at 4 in the afternoon would normally have taken around and hour now took 15mins due to the new Tyne tunnel. Best money ever spent. I also stopped of at Bills auto parts and picked up 3lts of Tetra Schutz under-seal which is Tuesdays job, I want a couple of coats of under-seal sprayed on so overnight in the airing cupboard should have it nice and thin.
I have been thinking ahead a little while away and tracking down info on the Solex carb, I found a Finnish site that I have posted on my Links page. This site is dedicated to the Ford Taunus which is fitted with the EEIB Carb.
The other site is FORDOPEDIA an excellent site with a load of info about the Granada, Cortina and the COLOGNE engine
Well thats all for the fist day
See ya Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment