Tuesday 22 May 2012

Wiring electric fan

Hi
Last day home today so not a whole lot done as other jobs on but still managed to get some of the smaller jobs out of the way including a couple of mods suggested by Terry B.
First job was to get the fan wired up so a trip to Halfords to get a roll of 17amp wire and the other parts I needed for today's jobs. The instructions are pretty straight forward although I had a Electrician friend have a look at it with me and its only 2 wires so pretty easy. There is an option of either running the power directly from the battery terminal so when the ignition is switched off the fan stays on until the engine cools and the other option is to wire it in after the ignition so it is on and off with the ignition. I chose the battery option as I have been told that a lot of heat is generated by these engines and I shall be using this as a holiday car and am hoping for sunny hot days all the way. 
The fan can be used to suck or to blow by either having it before the radiator or after in the engine bay, if a sucker as I have it the live goes into the bottom terminal and for a blower then into the top terminal and this reverses the rotation of the fan so it is important to get it right. To test that it was sucking I put a piece of paper onto the front of the radiator and connected the fan switch to the battery then used the thermostat as a switch.
You can see the paper being sucked onto the radiator and even standing to the side like I was you can really feel the air blowing.
Once happy I made up a bracket and wired the switch up to the battery.

While at Halfords I also picked up 3mts of 15mm radiator hose and started removing the old hoses, it was a bit difficult getting to the worm clips under the dash section but I used a socket with an extension and a wobble end. The new hoses look good and I have slightly altered the run to bring them a little bit more away from the rocker covers.
The other jobs I managed to get done where the mods suggested by Terry, the first was to add an extra earthing cable from the body to the battery earth wire so as not to rely on the earth going directly through the body.
I ordered 2 meters of heavy gauge cable and this was more than enough to go around to the battery cable, the connectors came from a local car electric supplier for a few penny's. I decided to solder the connections on instead of crimping and tie wrapped neatly all around.
The earth is at the bottom of the shot in the loop of the brake pipe, not the best shot as a bit dark down there.
The other job was a mod to the drive shaft, the mod is to fit grease nipples to the couplings to stop them running dry, I had a few grease nipples in my bits and bobs gathered over the years but didn't expect them to fit but they went straight in. The threads aren't metric but look to be about 1/4" BSW, I don't have a grease gun at present so was unable to grease but will acquire one next time home.
Well back in two weeks and hope to have the carb fitted and see what to do with the exhaust.

see ya Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment