Friday 18 May 2012

Gearbox Extension

Hi
Very pleased to get the engine fitted but now the work begins of getting all of the ancillaries fitted and finding them.
I also got an email from Terry B saying that the Land Rover engine mounts fit quite well, so I got straight on and ordered a set, will just have to wait for them and get them fitted.
Its strange but I have searched every wire in the engine bay and just can't find the part of the loom that fits to the thermostatic sensor which also contains the earth for the alternator, I have it in a photo of it with a label on each wire but I still can't find it, very strange, will sleep on it an look again tomorrow.
I have made a bracket for the fan controller, I had bought a tee connection to fit the thermostat into instead of slipping it into the hose and risking a leak.
I have also fitted the bottom hose and a number of the electrical connections including the engine earth, I sanded down to bare steel and when fitted coated with silicone grease for protection.

The gearbox extension arrived this morning and it fits great, there was no instructions with it but it didn't take long to figure it out.
First was to remove the plastic sleeve that fits in the selector housing and to knock out the tin cover on the back of the housing.
A pair of pliers and it lifts straight out, this is then fitted to the same section but on the extension.
The rear cover can be left off but I wanted a little more protection from the weather so I have modified it to fit over the rod and into its original hole.


You can see in this photo the extension fitted with the gear lever in position but without the modified cap fitted (just above the output shaft), you can see the reason for modifying it as the whole area is open to the weather and would soon gunge up so I shall grease all of the exposed areas and keep them that way.
The extension has brought the stick 5" 125mm nearer to the driver and freed up a lot of space in front of the radio, I shall cut the new hole and weld or rivet a patch over the old hole next time home.
This is it fitted, I have sealed the join with silicon and thread locked the bolts and used spring washers as the last thing I want is it coming off while driving.
I was a bit worried about the freedom of movement in the selection of gears but as you can see in the video it nice and easy.
Just a reminder of what came out.

I also fitted the fork and the new release bearing that came with the clutch kit and yesterday gave it a coat of stonechip.
I have the gearbox under the car now and up in position, I used a jacking strap through the gearbox hole and lifted the gearbox until I could fit the car jack into the center and lifted and pushed it into position. I now have it sitting on stands as I quickly realised how foolish I was to try fitting it alone as I could damage the input shaft if it was to fall. So I have text a friend and hopefully he'll be round on Monday to help.

Well that's all for the weekend as I am off to my nephews wedding tomorrow and I am expecting a hangover on Sunday so no work on the car.

see ya Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment