Friday 11 May 2012

Granada Mk2 2.8 and is a LUX Repset 624 0526 00,

Hi
Another busy day with not much to show for it, I seem to have spent the whole day driving around looking for parts.
A lot of deliveries today and very happy with all of them, I only ordered the sandwich adapter yesterday and it was delivered at 0745 this morning. Luckily I had just returned home after dropping Lynne of at the metro.
The threaded set that comes with the adapter allows it to fit to virtually any engine and it took only a few minutes to fit.
Although the sender clears the exhaust manifold I think I shall get hold of a couple of adapters and pipe it in behind the heads and out of the way of the heat.
The part I have been looking forward to receiving has been my new Weber carburetor which arrived yesterday while I was out and went to a neighbor, so a nice surprise for me this morning. I ordered the carb from John at John Wade Developments 01902798303 and he has modified it to run my 2.8 Cologne straight out of the box, which for me being a learner is a great relief. The carb is a Weber DGAS 38 which was developed to replace a Granada 2.3 V6 1977 - 1986 Solex 35 EEIT or so it say's on the tin.
It is the manual choke model so a bit of work involved fitting this.

I also picked up my clutch kit from Bills Autoparts (wonder what they call the owner)
Its for a Granada Mk2 2.8 and is a LUX Repset 624 0526 00,
When I removed my old clutch I thought it looked hardly worn so I measured the thickness of the plates against the new clutch and could have saved £102 as there is only around 0.6mm wear on the plates. The new one measures 10mm whereas the old one measures 9.4mm. I think I shall keep it as a spare.
I also took a trip to Halfords as I needed a new fan belt and 6 new spark plugs, I also picked up a tin of red Hammerite spray paint for the rocker covers. Unfortunately I could not find a fan belt of the right length and as there is no number stamped on the old one it may prove a bit difficult. The spark plugs were a bargain as I used my trade card and instead of the £23 it should have been I only paid £9, bargain.

I did manage to get some actual work done.

The washer bottle was in a bit of a state so I removed this and gave the bottle a good scrub, the small motor got the rust cleaned off and a coat of silver paint. I bought a black webbing suit case belt and cut it shorter to hold the bottle in.
Once I fit the self tappers I have ordered that will be the back bulkhead complete.
The bonnet catch has also been cleaned up, I have had this sitting in a bowl of Bilt Hamber acid overnight and it has cleaned up great, I have given it a coat of etch primer and shall paint it tomorrow.

The modification of the rocker cover has been decided, I have drilled through the pin section where the deflector is situated and fitted the grommet, the underside of the grommet is a bit perished although it still gives a very tight fit.
I have fitted the carb emission plate to see if the pipe would stretch to fit, and yes it does but unfortunately it put to much stress on the grommet which may get more damaged.
This is the hose in the un-stressed position, I shall get a piece of new hose and fit it with a joiner.
I have started the spraying of the rockers but even though I am doing many thin coats instead of a couple of thick coats I am still getting runs, so it looks like a sand down start again.

Well back to work again tomorrow

see ya Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment