Monday 19 November 2012

Body Work, Passenger wing

Hi
Had a little work to do to finish off the drivers step, I knew the holes needed a bit of a tweak but I ended up doing a bit of a re-design of the legs themselves.
I thought I had taken all of the spacing for the rubber buffers into account but I stupidly missed the spacing for the wing piping to go behind the step frame. I could have got away with it by fitting an extra spacer behind the legs to bring the step out or I could fix it.
So easily fixed, off with the legs and 2 new pieces were welded on but set back to leave a gap between the long length and the chassis.
I now have a small gap for the piping leg to be trapped behind the frame, I have ordered 10mt of 6mm rubber piping which should be big enough to hid the discrepancies in the wings. 
This is the modified step in place, the piping can now run all of the way from the front to the back of the car.
Next to work on was the passenger side.
I had a bit of a problem with the headlight on this wing, the nut had seized and was turning the inner tube so I had to take the wing off with it attached. I had sprayed the threads with release oil when I first stowed it away in the loft but it was still seized.
I could have restored the headlights and saved a £100 but was unable to get it to turn.
So the only way to get it off was with the grinder and to scrap the headlights.
The wing was pretty much in the same condition as the other side, where ever there was steel bolts, washers or  rivets there was corrosion.
Other than a few areas of corrosion it is in very good condition and all that was need was a good scrub on the inside.
And the outside had all of the loose paint sanded off and the good paint work rubbed down with 120 grit on the DA.
The area around the headlight hole was in great condition, unlike the other side.

Once all washed and heat gun dried I mixed up the primer and gave the wing its first coat.
I shall only give the inside one coat of primer as it is going to be sprayed with stone chip, the outside will be rubbed down and finished with 800 grit.
I fitted the wing in place with the skin pins and rubber separators for the piping gap, this side has a much better fit than the other and follows the curve perfectly.
That's both front wings in place.
Tomorrows job will be to get the rear wing fitted and the step profile cut and hopefully get started on the step building.

See ya Paul







 

No comments:

Post a Comment