Thursday 27 September 2012

Seat Re-colouring Finale

Hi
Finished at last.

It has taken all of Tuesday and most of today to finish off the seats, the prep work is the most important so that took most of the time.

Yesterday was all car work but of a different variety, it was Lynne's day off and new car finding day, her little Sport Ka had seen better days so It was time to go. I had been looking for a new car since coming home and we finally agreed on what she wanted, I found it on Tuesday night after a good search on the internet and went to look at it yesterday morning. It took most of the day to test drive and sort out price and paperwork but I pick it up tomorrow. 
Lovely car only 27,000 miles on the clock and its from Stratstone Jaguar at Newcastle, unbelievable Jags in the showroom and is in mint condition, just got to sell the MX5 now.

Very pleased that the seats are out of the way as I can now concentrate on the bodywork, I mentioned last time that I wasn't to happy with the technique of using a sponge to put on the first coat. Well a change of mind as I found the correct way of doing it and used it on the last seat. Simple really, just wet the sponge; I had washed the sponge when I had finished the day before and it was still damp. Using it damp removes any streaks and if done in one long sweep give a smooth even finish, I gave the second seat 3 coats like this and it came out great. I still went over it with the air brush but this time I filtered the colour and used my 0.2 air brush and got a very fine finish. Glad I practised on Lynne's seat first as all of the mistakes were made there.
This is what was filtered out; no wonder my air brush was getting clogged, I mixed the colour with water before filtering and what came out was ready for use.
Well this is the finish I got and they look great, Still not quite finished though as I have to wait 7 days for everything to harden off before putting on the cream coat that makes the leather supple and it is advised to use this every 3 months.

I did have a go at colouring the door cards but unfortunately they did not come out to well and I am going to have new one's made so it was just an experiment.

See ya Paul


No comments:

Post a Comment