Saturday 1 September 2012

Seat Frames /Belts

Hi
I have spent the last 2 days working on the seats and seat belt mods.
I decided to use the runners from the original Kallista seats instead of the one's fitted to the TVR seats, a couple of reasons for this, one of which you can see from the photo.
They are a little cruddy so I went for the originals which are nice and clean and rust free.
The other reason for going for the originals is that the floor pan fixing holes won't require any changing as these frames will bolt straight on. 
The first job was to drop the new seats in place and position them correctly, as I have never done this before it was a bit of guess work. If you look at your floor pan you will see just in front of the seats it drops down around 25mm, I used this to give a position to work from by squaring the front of the seats to this edge leaving room on the inside for the soundproofing and the carpet. When I was happy with the positioning I jacked up the car and found where the bolts come through under the car, only 2 are visible as the others are hidden inside the underside box section. So using the 2 holes available I marked them by poking up the holes with a stick, the end covered in copperslip.
Before removing the two separate runners on the Kallista seats I cut 2 steel bars and welded them to the runners just to make sure everything matched up when I fitted the seats.
The TVR frame mounts differ a great deal from the Kallista's, so a little bit of new frame needed to be added.
I was able to line up the bottom 2 holes with the copperslip markings then mark and drill the top holes and bolt the frame into position. Once secured I cut and welded the bottom bar on, then drilled and bolted.
Both seat were done like this, the runners were sprayed with silicon grease then bolted in position.
Not the best photo, (new camera) but the access both front and back hold down bolts is very good.
Once the seats were in the belts came next, only the anchor points needed changing on these, that was after I spent 15 mins trying to get the seat belt to unwind as they had rolled fully up and unless the angle is absolutely perfect then they ain't coming out. 
You can see the original anchor point and the new position on the tunnel side's, I have drilled and tapped them out to 10mm and shall make steel plates to position behind and nylock them on.
That's the seats fitted, I shall remove them next time home to re-colour them, the dye I ordered arrived today but not quite what I was expecting. On the add it showed a full kit of 4 bottles the applicator, basically everything required to clean and apply the dye, I ordered the next size up at 250ml and that is what arrived; just the dye. So I have returned it on there 7 day return policy and shall go to the Newcastle furniture clinic with part of the seat and get the colour matched.
Another problem I have found is that it is even more difficult to get out than I remember so I am looking to modify a little by removing some of the metal work in front of the drivers seat so I can at least get my foot out, I shall refit the door and see what can be removed, still that's for the future.

Well that's the last from me for 2 weeks, off to my new job.

see ya Paul







No comments:

Post a Comment