Tuesday 19 June 2012

Engine damage

Hi
Its official (A) the engine is a little broken and (B) I have got to be the biggest idjit in the world.

Dropped Lynne of early this morning for work then home and a boilersuit on, I started at 0720 and by 0815 the heads were off.
I found the problem immediately and its looks to be rather expensive, I thought when I was building the heads back up that I had taken great care in the build but apparently not. It looks like a stray spring washer found its way into the air intake (I presume) then got sucked into #5 unit and bashed itself around a bit.
I found 3 broken pieces embedded in the piston crown and another stuck in the hole that had been punched through the head. Surprisingly and luckily the piston bore does not looked scratched although that is on the first look and rub with a rag.
I have turned the engine and sprayed WD40 liberally into the bores and oiled to preserve while I'm away.
These are the bits from the piston, the piece sticking out of the hole in the head went flying as I attempted to pull it out.
A piece was embedded very close to the bore but seems to have been pointing inwards and did not scrape.
You can see the extra hole punched through into the waterway.
I can only assume it came from the air intake which means it would have had to pass the air inlet valve as it certainly was not sitting on the piston when I put the head on.
So decisions to be made.
I have spoken to the man at Cologne engines who says the piston should be Ok if the ring groove isn't crushed, so will check on that.
The head will defiantly have to be replaced, so I shall be looking on eBay for a replacement and a standard head exchange at Cologne engines is £215 plus a new set of gaskets then I am back in business, or maybe take it where I had these heads done either way it is a bit of a major setback to my plans.

well back to work for 2 weeks then engine out again.
see ya Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment