Saturday 16 June 2012

Heater removal

Hi
Home again after a couple of days break in the Yorkshire moors, had a lovely time and stopped at a 18th century country manor house called Hackness Grange very nice couple of days.
Lynne
Shame about the rain storms.
Got back at lunchtime and got stuck straight in, I had a bit more stoneguard spraying to do on the propshaft knuckle and the underside of the axle diff. Once done I got the car dropped back onto its wheels, I'd forgotten just how low down the car is.
I am hoping to get the engine turned over this time home just to see what leaks on both the cooling and fuel system so I have topped up the cooling system ready. Before filling I have blanked of the heater pipework under the dash with some 15mm pipe blanks and added a bottle of Holts speed flush.

I have filled the rad right up and shall leave overnight to see what leaks or not as the case may be.

The main job today has been stripping and cleaning the heater, It wasn't really in that bad a condition considering what it has sucked up over the years, I thought it would have been a lot more rusty inside but not to bad.
I stripped down the heater unit to its main components which is only the heat exchanger, fan unit and metal work. The metal work has been given a good rub down with emery cloth and primed with acid etch.
Not much I can do with the heater unit it is either sound or it leaks but seeing as the footwell was dry when I bought the car I reckon its pretty sound so I have just blown it through with compressed air and cleaned up the tail pipes.
The electric motor had a lot of oily gunge around the top so a good spray with solvent cleaner and a scrub, came up quite well. I shall give it a run before I fit it back into the car.
That's all I've got done today, the primer will be set tomorrow so will be able to paint and fit back together.
Can anyone out there help; 
I have found a photo on the web of a German Kallista and was wondering if anyone recognizes the grill it has fitted, it looks like a Mk2 Jag but was hoping someone out there knows for sure.
If you know what car it is from could you please let me know.

see ya Paul

2 comments:

  1. Hi Paul, recently saw a letter in an old panther club magazine which was accompanied by a photo of a kallista with this same grill, and the writer was pretty sure it was from a jag Mk2, he was looking for a cross bar for it which was missing. As for fitting a K&N filter, my own 1.6 kallista has been fitted with one and when I bought it the rocker breather filter was just left to vent into the engine bay. I read that this was a possible mot failure on emmision grounds. If you go to knfilters.com/filteraccess.htm you will see a marine type vent hose adaptor which clamps between the top and bottom plates and vents into the side of the filter. I actually made my own adaptor from brass plate and copper heating pipe swaged and soldered together. The other method is to drill a hole in the bottom plate and feed the vent pipe into one of the angled adaptors also shown on the web page. Apparently fitting this air cleaner can cause carb icing in the winter but I only tax and use mine for the summer 6 months. Also i need to let the engine warm up a bit before moving off as it is drawing in cold air and it takes a while before the car is driveable as the intake air is not being drawn from near the warm exhaust manifold.
    My Kallista has been finished in Jaguar regency red whch matches the description of the paint your paint guy was suggesting. It was I believe used on the E-type jag but it does suit the kallista. Enjoying the blog, you are doing a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many thanks Brian, but I bet your not saying that after seeing what I managed to do to the head. (Have already sourced another head and piston)
    Shall look into the K&N adapter as some one else mentioned MOT to me now I know why.
    Paul

    ReplyDelete