Tuesday 6 September 2011

Tuesday 6/9/2011

Hi
Been a busy couple of days, I have the steering rack all painted, the gaiters changed and new track rod ends fitted. Looks like new.
No word on the bushes yet, gave him a ring and they are waiting on the new price list.
Suspension parts are still at the powder coaters, SO
I have have bit the bullet and started doing what scared me the most, Wings off.
I started by removing the headlights or trying to, the drivers side came off easy but I am afraid the pass side will need cutting off as they is no way the nut will unscrew. Not a problem, colour coded headlights are nice but www.europaspares.com have some lovely shells in heavy chrome, will look great with matching spots.
There is a fair bit of damage to the hole in the wing, it looks like the ally has broke away and only the underside fibreglass is keeping the hole in place, I shall have to make up a few ally washers and laminate to both sides with araldite. The swivel mount of the headlights is made of steel and was rusty, looks like it has eaten away at the aluminium and the oxide has swelled.

Headlight damage
Next was the radiator grill, made of plastic and not great, I am replacing this with a stainless grill from Bruno to give the front a clean look. Once off the full condition of the radiator became more apparent, I new it would need replacing but did not realise how bad it was, the copper on large sections of the fins was gone, total wreck.

inner side
Outer side
I need to track one down now, should not be to much trouble, it has Ford stamped on but no serial number so a bit of detective work, or of course I could ask Bruno or Terry Borton as I am sure these gents have been replaced a few over the years.
The surround frame I have put to one side ready for my next trip to the powder coaters.
Now that the radiator is out I can see the engine better and it looks like most of the engine oil leak problem has been the rocker covers all along. 5 minutes work when first seen could have saved a messy engine, on the positive side; it ain't rusty where the oil is.



The wings came off far easier that I imagined only 2 bolts and around 10 rivets, the ones inside the grill area were a little difficult to get at and one hidden behind the frame work but being ally they drilled out very easily. Once drilled a long sharp knife slide between the body and the wing and off it came. I shall get the rear one's off later but for now the wing went very carefully up into the loft.

Wing gone
One more wing, strange thing is that there are 2 different bolt sizes, the first wing had 10mm on to the step where as the drivers side had 8mm or BSW equivalent; maybe changes over the years.
The second wing was stuck on a bit better than the first but a little swearing and its up in the loft ready to be cleaned and sanded ready for the spraybooth.


I had already spent yesterday with the rotary wire brush getting the underside frames cleaned up and looking for monsters, and did not expect to find this.


Hidden under the paint and waxoil just behind the wing support bracket on the pass side, so now I know my chassis number or so I assume that is what it is.
I have got most of the waxoil of the sides and only found three monsters and they are all on the pass side. On reading the garage history I got with the car it mentioned a welding job on the car and it seems that it is in or around the same place but on the drivers side about 6" behind where the chassis bush holes are. I only have a stick welder so next time home I shall be looking for a MIG and get these holes welded up before the waxoil injection.
Well that's all I have managed this time home, get the early flight to Heathrow tomorrow for another 2 or hopefully 3 weeks, my wife is already talking about taking some more time of when I get home to climb another bloody mountain, so I am going to get her a boiler suit instead. That will soon put her off taking leave.
Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment