Tuesday 27 September 2011

Hole Patching

Hi
Been under the car again today, which I suppose will be a recurring theme for quite a while, but first I had to spend the morning driving around sourcing a large gas bottle. I had problems with my welding yesterday which I have found out is called burn back so it was off to Machine mart for new tips and more gas. I was lucky enough to talk to a guy who works there who restores cars and he put me onto a local gas supplier with far more realistic prices than £14 for a 1/3rd litre bottle from Machine mart. I ended up at Ashley gas supplies in Ryton Sunderland where a large pub style Co2 bottle cost £48, £40 refundable on return and £8 per refill; that's more like it.
I also figured out my burn back problem as being the wire feed to low and a dodgy swan neck and tip so I have replaced them, now its just learning the machine, although I am much better at TIG and stick.
I have spent the rest of the day welding patches to the holey parts of the frame work, I uncovered this little lot yesterday. The water has got in between the grommets for the fuel pipes and because it was only a small piece 125mm long no one thought to drill it for wax oiling
 

I got out my dremmel with a grinder attachment to have a look inside.

I have managed to scrape out most of the loose rust and made a large patch out of a couple of pieces of angle iron with a hole drilled in for rust cure and wax oil injection.
It may not look brilliant, but it is underneath and once painted and hammerite underbody sealed will make it invisible.
The exposed holes on the upper chassis arms required a bit more finesse, I tried touch welding the holes but just made it worst. So a patch was cut from some 3mm and welded on, a bit of grinding and ready for vactan and primmer.

I also received a call today that my radiator is ready, so it looks like a lot more driving tomorrow although the powder coater hasn't come through with they promise to deliver today.
Paul


No comments:

Post a Comment