Saturday 3 September 2011

Friday 2/9/11

Hi
Not much done today, the main job is done though; a trip to the powder coaters. Don't know if I got a good price or not but for the sub frame all of the suspension arms, springs, tie rods and all of the other bits and bobs, he charged £100. This includes sand blasting and dropping them of for me. He also showed me the powder coated chrome effect on a set of alloys which looked quite impressive.

I have had the steering rack in the blasting cabinet as I am going to spray this myself, it may not like being cooked. I have also bought a new set of boots for the rack, the old ones looked in good repair  but may not last to many more years. the rack moves nice and free, so I guess the mot fail for notchy steering is mostly down to the steering u/j's. I'll have them out when I remove the engine for a re-build.

Steering rack boots

I have also bought the paint for what can't be powder coated and have settled for Simoniz gloss tough black and black hammerite for the rails.

Have removed all of the waxoil from the hub assemblies and sprayed with the Simonize and they look very nice.

Boots                        £12 inc p&p on ebay
Paint x6 tins               £32.75 free p&p on ebay  
Hammerite 750cl       £8 on the market stall £16 at screwfix, dread to think of the B&Q price
Powder coating         £100

Thats all for now Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment