Monday 26 September 2011

Hole repair

Hi
Got back late Wednesday night for a 2 week break, only today have I actually got down to doing some work on the car, even though you can't see that I have made progress.
I have managed to organize some other things during my time; firstly after many years in my job and many years spending some of the money earned at Halfords I have only just found out that I am entitled to a Halfords Trade card. So any Engineers out there get down with your quals and get a discount on all of those essentials, tools, oil, filters, lamps, all sorts.
I have been trying to track down which radiator is fitted to the Kallista, even though it is stamped Ford I have had no luck so far. I first contacted http://www.aaronradiator.co.uk/catalog/Ford_Radiator-26-1.html which has all Ford models listed with picture and sizes and could not find it there. I spoke to them and sent photo and sizes but got nothing back. I next asked the man who knows these things, (Terry) and he said it was commonly thought to be from a Granada 2.8 but the sizes don't match what is currently available for this model. So it was a re-core, I have found a good firm in Newcastle http://www.adrad.co.uk/ who are charging around £150 for a full re-furb.
Next was front end bushes, I have spent my 2 weeks away trying to figure out the best deal on my budget, I had 3 main manufactures in mind, Superflex, Powerflex and Flo-flex. As always the best is the most expensive so with probably only 2 to 3000 miles per year and no rallying I have plumbed for the Powerflex and the Flo-flex. The Powerflex ordered are the Upper and Lower wishbones and  Tie rods, the Flo-flex are the front chassis mounting and the steering rack large and small. Unfortunately Powerflex do not do the chassis mounting bushes which was the reason I went with Flo-flex.
Costing
Powerflex for all bushes      £84 inc p+p
Flo-flex for all bushes         £44 inc p+p
My first choice for the Chassis bushes were Superflex but the cost for these 2 bushes was (inc p+p) more or less the same as all the Powerflex bushes. I can always change to Superflex in the future for the chassis if I find the Flo-flex no good.
Next purchase was chassis paint, I had started using Hammerite, mainly because I did not know what else to use and it was later suggested to me to try the paint from Ken & Lyn on 01298 814813 who sell they car supplies at the main motor shows. So after parting with £22 pounds I now have 2 1/2Lt of lovely black chassis paint.
Next buy was a Mig welder, I picked up a used Clarke 135TE for £150 locally from Gumtree.co.uk but need a bit more practice,
Well finally got stuck in today which involved the removal of the rest of the Pass side wings and after 26 years they did not want to budge but eventually of they came. The poor car looks rather sad without the wings.


It was out with the wire brush again and all of the other rust removal tools, the Hammerite came of easily and I got well underneath, I have found a number of holes in the members but surprisingly when removing the rubber bungs and sticking my finger in I have found wax oil.

This hole is were the chassis mounting arm drops down.
I made a metal patch, just about to weld it on.

Started welding this one.
Yet more to weld, I'd better stop there as I'm get depressed. 
start again tomorrow.
Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment