Saturday 18 February 2012

Stripping heads

Hi
Looks like its going to be engine engine engine for the foreseeable future.
I did manage to get some parts bought though, a new 81 deg thermostat is on its way and I have also managed to buy a pair of thermostat housings front and back along with a timing plate, they look to be in good condition and with the thermostat cost around £25 far better than the £94 for a new housing and gaskets +£9 p+p. Once powder coated they will look like new, I have also bought some lapping paste and a spring compressor from Halfords and got to work.

I started on the air inlet manifold; I plugged the holes to prevent any oil and dirt getting inside the air intake section and gave it a good spray to loosen the oil. Once clean I again used the wire rotary brushes and gave it a good brush ready for a coat of primer.
These have been transformed with only a couple of hours work.
Next came one of the heads, I have to remove the valves not only to clean out the sludge but also to check for any damage to the valve seats and of course to give them a little lap. Well I'm pleased to say that there is no real damage to the seats, there is a little pock marking which I imagine is the norm for the millage.
I cleaned all of the oil off and again attacked with the wire brushes.
The photo is a little out of focus, the inlet is as you would expect in excellent condition but the exhaust has a number of pits.
I removed the valves by compressing the springs with the special compressing tool.
This tool works on a cam type action, the head goes over the spring and the threaded anvil goes under the valve and tightened, the handle is then moved forward to close in a pliers type action. I was a bit weak for this and had to use a length of pipe to move the handle.
Once compressed the collets can be removed and the compressor removed, all the parts from each valve have been marked and kept separate ready for lapping.
You can see from this photo the oil and dirt coating the valve and spring, these soon cleaned up nice then I put them on the wire wheel and polished them.
I then lapped the valves in, the inlet just required a medium and fine lap while the exhaust required coarse, medium then fine to get a good finish.
I have only lapped one set in and shall carry on tomorrow if I get a chance.
I have a new set of rubber stem seals for the re-fitting of the valves but I am a bit unsure about the quality, I have sent an inquiry to a firm concerning a set of Payen gaskets as I have been told these are of the best quality and shall ask if they have oil seals as well before I re-build the heads.
See ya
paul


No comments:

Post a Comment