Sunday 8 June 2014

Seats

Hi

Back again, a little later than expected as the weather was to bad to get off the ship so I waited until we arrived back in port before getting off then a nice little break away in Yorkshire with a satnav that was possessed with evil spirits. It has a new home now with a warning to the new owner about the need for a exorcism before it sends someone over a ravine.

Before going I picked up my seats and they look very nice, the match is not perfect to the door cards but close enough for me. Unfortunately the drivers seat was missing one of the headrest guides and the other was all cracked and broken so off to work they went and I made a couple of new ones on the lathe.
I have given them a couple of coats of primer and satin black, shall fit them later.

Passenger side first, I fit the runners and gave them a good lube with silicon spray.
The runner touch the underside of the seat where the padding turns, no problem with the passenger side as the seat will rarely be moved forward but the drivers will be back and forth each time I get in and out so it will be nicely worn in no time.
On looking at both seats I thought it was strange that the back of the seats appeared to be leaning slightly to one side, (both inwards) I even undid the hinge bolts to try and straighten them up. No joy there as the bolts are in the correct position, then I thought maybe because of the cramped area in the car that it maybe designed in to bring the side of the back away from the side of the car. It works.

Fitting was not to much of a problem after I realised that it was easier to fit the front bolts a couple of threads first then the rear before tightening down.


Drivers side next, I first had to fit the door stop and the new door light switch.
I had to buy another set of switches as after searching everywhere I could not find the last one anywhere, no problem only a couple of pounds and it worked perfect first time. 
When I fitted the passenger door stop I fitted the 7 standoff washers that came off originally, this time I decided to fit without the washers. The door does not open quite as far but after a warning from Terry B about the door opening to far a causing a crease in the body work I thought to err on the side of caution.
I shall remove the washers from the passenger side when I get round to it, still need to fit the cheek plate but will do that when fitting the door card.

Next came the carpet, not very good at carpet fitting as I seem to keep getting it off centre but you can't see any gaps and from the drop down it is all glued in place so it won't ride forward.
I also fit the seat belt and cut the holes for the seat bolts.

Just a matter of bolting down the seat, this time I started at the front and it went in no problem although I can only find 3 allen bolts so will have to make a trip tomorrow for a new one.
Looking very nice, no problem with the slide, it positions lovely.
If anyone want a pair of TVR Griffith seats then come and get them (free).
Will have to fit the headrest guides and source a pair of headrest's which will need recovering but I'm sure Bruno will have a pair.

Door card tomorrow.

see ya Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment