Saturday 9 November 2013

Door Caps and Card

Hi
Been working on the door caps most of the day, nice and dry this morning and I gave them a good inspection, wish I hadn't. I noticed that a couple of the areas I had filled where slightly dipped on the passenger side cap, if I could notice without the lacquer on then it would jump out at me with the lacquer on, so I rubbed down these areas and filled again which of course meant fully priming and rubbing down. I have just put the finishing coat on now so there should both be ready for polishing tomorrow.

In between waiting for the coats to dry I got to work on other things, I was interested to see what the new aerial would look like so I found a longer bolt and put it in position, still needs a bit of work but it looks a little longer than what I really wanted. Will keep on looking.
Just very difficult finding something that fits that angle, I shall ask Phil if cutting the rubber duck aerial down in size will affect reception by much, although it does not really matter as the radio is only MW and LW of which I doubt have many decent stations.
This is what I am after, any ideas.

I also made sure I had all of the parts available for when I fit the door cards so out with everything and checked them over.
What came to light apart from the missing screws was that I had not found a chrome surround for the door handle enclosure, Terry B had put me onto the chrome surround for the door lock which is from a Mini and easily available. On the other hand the door opener is from a Austin Allegro (first car I ever drove) and I have been unable to find any chrome surrounds  for this model. 
So I can either fit the chrome and hope I find the other in the future or leave it off, or as I will do, say what the hell and fit it anyway.

Once I found all of the screws I gave it ago, Ray had cut the holes for the winder handle and door handle in the back leaving the job of piecing the vinyl to me.
I ensured all of the screw holes in the back of the door where lined up.
Then gave it a test fit.
I then pieced the center of each cut out then refit it leaving the door handle screws in the door to feel where to cut out.
Once happy I refit the card and fit the door furniture.
I was right about painting the door capping's the red colour as it really sets off the design of the door card.

Not much more done today as the prepping of the caps took quite a bit of work but well worth it.

Off on Monday and back around 14th Dec
See ya Paul 

No comments:

Post a Comment