Monday 19 March 2012

Webber ordered from J.W.Developments on 01902 798303.

Hi
Well a nice quiet day today.
I have 3 coats of paint on the engine and its looking a whole lot nicer than than it did, I got the last coat on last night before bed and it was nice and dry this morning, I did a little more masking this morning and sprayed the pulley and dip stick black.
I have been and bought the stainless bolts for the water pump, sump and thermostat housing and have been able to fit the pump. The pump flange face had quite a bit of pitting around the edges running in around 5mm so i gave it a coating of Hylomar then fitted with the new gasket.
The fuel pump came next, these faces where pretty perfect so it went straight on with the new gasket.
I also screwed in the oil pressure pickup with a little locktight to seal the threads, I may; when doing the interior look into fitting a proper oil pressure gauge on the dash and replace this with a pressure unit.
As you can see in the photos there are rust marks in the water galleries, I spent some time this morning scrapping as much of the loose scale as I could reach using a long thin chisel and blowing the debis out. I managed to get a good amount out but am still worried about loose rust getting into my new radiator core and blocking it. I had a talk to John Wade this morning and mentioned this and he uses a mixture of Sulfuric and other acids to clean out the waterways, unfortunately I am unable to get a hold of this acid mix. So I have trolled the internet and have found a Phosphoric acid tank cleaner, this is advertised as a de-ruster and de-scaller. I have wrote to the site asking if it will be any good for what I need and who knows it may be even work. 
The rest of the day has been spent getting bits cleaned and painted ready for the sump and heads to arrive.
In these photo's I have loosely fitted the the air manifold

As I said I have been talking to John Wade today to confirm my carburetor, I was put onto John by Terry Borton as being one of the best in the business on Ford V6 engines and setting up Weber carburetor's for the Cologne V6.
The carburetor designed and setup by Ford for the Cologne is the Pierburg or Solex 38, I have been learning a lot about carburetor's lately, and the main thing I have learn't is that you just can't bolt on a Weber to a Cologne and expect it to work, it just don't happen. I don't know exactly what is required apart from re-jetting but there are a number of alterations that John does that allows the carburetor to work straight from the box with only the minimum of setting up.
So anyone wanting to get rid of their old Pierburg / Solex and have a lovely shiny Weber then you can contact John at J.W.Developments on 01902 798303.
Well last day home tomorrow, I have a trip to North shields to pick up my powder coating and then a trip south to the outskirts of Durham to pick up my heads, I was promised they would be ready so fingers crossed.
See ya
Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment