Tuesday 30 April 2013

Front Indicators

Hi
Back again, good trip nice and quiet, got given a good photo taken from the supply boat of the gas being flared off from our boom. The reflection showing on the seawater overboard from the aft end makes it look like everything was on fire.
I have been searching eBay for the indicator lights I require and found everything I needed.
The side indicator was easy to find as there are lots for sale, this is the Lucas L734 and I picked it up for £12 inc p+p.
The new/used one is in the middle and you can see from the one on the left why it required replacing, I should be able to clean up the other although it has a broken thread but I shall make one good one from the two.

I also bought a fog light Lucas L 921 as mine had a broken back which was more than likely caused by me trying to remove it from the rear valance, this one has the chromed back and is in great condition for only £8.
I stripped off the exterior bracket, polished the glass and fit in position, I tested that it worked before fitting then wired everything together and tested all three lights.
I have spent some time searching through images on Google and searching eBay for the best looking and fitting front indicators, and I came up lucky.

I found a Lucas L781 left hand indicator from a Vauxhall PC Cresa & Vicount from the 70's that looked perfect unfortunately there was no right one, so I contacted the seller who deals in Vauxhall parts and he knew who had the left unit. It was another Vauxhall dealer who had the twin and both indicators where new old stock, so I took a chance that they would fit and bought the pair for just under a hundred pounds.
What made these perfect was that they followed the curve of the bend in the bumper, or near enough and weren't to big.
I tested that they worked and had to replace one of the lamps as it blew straight away.
I was thinking that I would have to make brackets to fit these but after a test fit I realised that I could bolt them directly to the bumper.
I masked off the bumper and indicator them marked off the best position and drilled.
I then marked and drilled the bumper for tapping 5mm threads, then bolted the indicator in place.
I was lucky that the heads of the 5mm bolts allow the lens to fit without hindrance, the curve of the indicator is a little sharp but nobody will notice at 70 mph.
I matched up the other side as best I could then bolted that in position, I have fitted the bumper and crossed my fingers hoping it looked good.
The only problem is that they aren't enclosed fittings and you can see the lamp fitting at the back, I can't hide the back but I can paint it black then wax oil which will disguise them and protect them.
Not bad for a first day home, I have a few projects in mind which I hope to complete and to test and repair all of the indicator and headlight electrics.

see ya Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment