Saturday 13 April 2013

Quarter Light Seals

Hi
Last day home and managed to get a couple of hours work in on the quarter lights, polished the last one yesterday and the seals arrived this morning.
I was was going phone Bruno up for the seals but thought I'd have a search and the first place I found was Sussex Classic Car.
They had everything on site and the prices where great so I put my order in straight away and the seals turned up this morning, the main quarter light seals are Midget RH #AHA7416  L/H #AHA7417. These are very reasonable at £11.88 each.
I also ordered the lower Quarter light to door seals these are Midget RH # AHA7746  L/H #AHA7747.
There are a couple more seals I still need to order, they are the Corner Blocks for the S/S frame. I was going to order with the other seals but wanted to double check which ones they where as there are 2 different types, for the S/S and the Chrome frame. I removed one when I pulled the seal and checked it against the picture on the web site.
These are only 84p each so very cheap I shall also order new felt guides @ £3.38 each.

The old seals have received a lot of wear and tear over the years and you can see where the water has gotten in.

Fitting the new seals was a lot easier than I had first thought, but I found that starting on the long leg I could pry's a section out with a little force just using my fingers.
After it starts to come out then it's a simple matter of forcing the rest of it out.
Once removed I had to re-polished the frame as a lot of gunk came out with it and stuck on the shinny, the new seal required a little lubrication to assist its fitting so I gave it a good spray of silicone lubricant.
 I found that by positioning the seal in position above the rounded section I could fit one edge and with a flat bladed screwdriver I could lever the rubber into it the groove. Once started it was a simple matter of working around until it was all in position.
I then Fitted the glass and tightened the spring, a couple of swings and it settled into the rubber seal very nicely.
The other light went a lot faster than the first after I learnt the procedure.
Well that's the start of the polishing and everything is wrapped in bubble wrap and put away nice an safe, back in 2 weeks and will get a bit more done.

see ya Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment