Tuesday 9 April 2013

Rear Valance and Indicators

Hi
One of the things I have been looking into this last week are the indicators, I have been finding the i.d numbers and tracking them down. 
I started with the licence plate light as this was the easiest to remove and had the broken lense, this is a  plastic version of the Lucas L467, I found a new one on ebay for £25. This one is the chromed brass light with a glass lens, very good quality.

The next ones to find where the side indicators, these are Lucas L734 and are easy to find on ebay for around £35 a pair and other sites.
One of mine could be salvaged but the other is in terrible condition.

The rear valance has 2 lights attached, these lights have the same body and only the lenses change, these are the Lucas L921 in red as the fog light and in clear as the reverse light.
These are the black plastic bodied lights although they also come in chrome finish, my reverse light is in good condition but the fog needs replacing as the lense is all cracked and the surround is broken. I have found one on ebay so shall buy that one.

The front and rear indicators are from a company called Cobo and are more from the industrial side of motoring, I have tracked them down for sale from a company called Malpas Online and are the Cobo 02.356 Rear combination light for a Massey Ferguson tractor at around £34 each.
Mine are in very good condition and will clean up great, I have other plans though for the rear indicators and think that the tear drop shape of the Lucas L815 would look great.
The front indicators are also Cobo and have 03.178/1 stamped on the lense unfortunately I can't find this on the Malpas site but can find it down as an 03.189 Front combination light at £27 each also for a Massey Ferguson tractor.
Both the front and rear lights have stood up well to the years of abuse from the weather although a couple of the reflectors are a bit dull, but I can mix and match from the rear lights.

The rear valance has had a bit of a rough time with bits broken off and a few cracks.

I stripped out the lights and gave it a good clean with de-greaser.

I never realised when I had all of the small parts powder coated that a bracket was still attached to the valance, so now I have 1 nice powder coated bracket and 1 rusty bracket.
I shall give it a sand blast then prime and paint.

I repaired the valance by super gluing the broken section in place and run some glue around the crack, I used fibre glass to repair the damage but as the broken area is where the bracket sits I did not want a big lump sticking up. To make a neat thin repair I used Jointing tape that is used to put a skim between plasterboard joints, this is sticky backed so you can place it where required and it will stay until the resin is applied.
Once all dry I had a search around the loft and found some Turtle wax Black Chrome polish designed to restore bumpers back to original condition, I was very pleased with the results as after only one coat it came up like new. I shall let it harden of overnight and give it another coat tomorrow, I attached the down light to see what it would look like and it was a perfect match for the holes.
The number plate is a little flyblown but I am loath to replace it as it is the original Panther plate with the logo and address, so anyone know of a firm that can replicate it.
Next job while I have the bumpers off is to get the polisher out and give them a good buff up, I have also bought chromed plastic end covers to fit so that's tomorrows jobs sorted.

see ya Paul


1 comment:

  1. Please note your front sidelight / indicator is also used on the Lotus eclat/ Excel model if you need an alternative source

    Stu

    ReplyDelete