Thursday 11 April 2013

Polishing

Hi
I have started polishing the large amount of shinny bits to be re-fitted, some of the parts that got damaged on removal like the door handles and side mirrors will be replaced. The damage was caused by having to drill out the rusty self tappers, you would have thought that the manufactures would have realised that rust would attack the screws, just a few more pence and they could have fitted stainless, mad.

I started out though by checking that all of the lights work, I bought a Sealey electrical tester the other year but haven't really had a chance to use it. I have a meter but these testers use the battery and allow you to put a current through whats to be tested and light it up or if its a small motor like my heater fan will run it.
You can do a variety of testing but I just used it to check that the lights work.
I connected to the battery and clipped the return to one side of the light circuit and put the probe on the other side.
I am pleased to say that all of the lights worked as they should.

I am very pleased I built my polisher, it would have been a lot of elbow grease without it or extra cost sending everything to a polisher.
I started on the bumper bars to get the biggest items out of the way, I removed what brackets I could and polished these separately.
I started with the medium polish to get rid of all the oxides that have developed before moving onto the green high polish of the cloth wheel.

A while ago I bought a set of chrome end caps that I found on eBay on a search for Kallista parts and they look great, in fact I have searched eBay for a set for the badge bar and found some under bicycle handlebars and have bought them.
That's the bumpers all finished even the parts you can't see look great.

Next up was the badge bar, the bar itself is in excellent condition but the chrome on the support's are a little worse for wear. 
 
I managed to slacken the lock screws off easily enough and slide the supports off the bar to polish separately and made things a little easier.
Still, even with the pitting it looks good and hopefully the new end caps will fit.

Once these were finished I thought I would start on the door parts, the quarter lights need a little work so I started by removing the bottom seal and the hinge nut and spring keeping the glass panel in place.
There was damage done to both doors due to water getting in through part of the seals, possibly the bottom seal which did not look in the best condition so I will replace all of the seals to ensure I find the correct one. I shall ask Bruno for a couple of sets but I believe they are from an MG Midget and are easy enough to get hold of.
Again mild steel screw were fitted instead of stainless, I've polished them up but doubt I'll be able to remove them without drilling so unless I need to remove them to fit the new seals then they are staying put. 
All in all I am pleased with the end result , the polishing looks great.

see ya Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment