Tuesday 5 March 2013

Scuttle Build 1

Hi
Home again and the sun is shinning (for now).

I picked up the new scuttle this morning, not quite the finished article but a couple of days work will transform it.
I had it made from 1.2mm Galvo steel with the main bends folded in, lot of cutting and welding to do and the reason is because off all the damage to the original.

I could have left it and made repairs with fibre glass  and if I make a pigs ear of the new scuttle then that's what I'll do.

I started by masking off the areas to cut so I can see the pen marks and marked off the centre then the outer angle and cut.
I took the measurements from the original which; as I found out on my first test fit, this was not the best idea as I would have had a better fit by laying on top of the bonnet and scribing the sides as the original scuttle base is rather a loose fit.
The main work today has been cutting the drop section where the bonnet hinges fit. I measured off and cut out a flap on either side.
I have slit down to the red marks and made the cutouts, the rise of the scuttle at the back is around 25mm so I raised the back and supported it at this height; measured the gap of the cut out and cut the steel.
I then tacked the pieces in position and trimmed of the outside to fit.
You can see better in this shot, there is now a tapered gap running down that needs to be filled.

The speedo cable is a bit of a problem as it runs over the frame work and stops the scuttle from sitting flat on the frame work, this is what the two ribbed sections on your scuttle are for. One is a dummy but the other allows the cable to pass freely, so I cut a piece of box section and a notch in the scuttle for it to fit and welded it in place.
 I only need one but for symmetry I shall cut and fit a second.

I now needed to test fit, so I re-masked and marked of the curve around the edges and cut these sections out, there are also a number of small cutouts at the front which I marked off and cut out.
You can see the gaps on either side, these do not run at the same angle as the bonnet sides and will need trimming when the side uprights are made, also the base could have been wider. I really should have scribed instead of taking the measurement from the original scuttle.

While I had it in position I marked of the holes for the bonnet stops as I need it bolted down to make the side's fit correctly. I drilled the holes and used the offcuts from when I cut the angled width and welded them into the gaps on either side of the raised section.
I did all of the welding from the underside, mostly because I am a pretty rubbish MIG welder, and it is all joined together with spot welds then ground down, not what I am used to doing as it looks rubbish, but all that will be hidden.

I have bolted it all down and the fit is pretty good.

Still needs a lot of work then cleaning up but I hope to carry on and make the side's tomorrow if I get the chance.
See ya Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment