Monday 19 December 2011

Monday 19/12/11

Hi
Well the bush saga so far!
Fantastic, well that's maybe a bit OTT; but I am very pleased with the Teflon mockups. I have test fitted them in every position and they slide in with perfection, so they are on there way to Flo-flex on next day delivery. Hopefully they will give me a realistic price on the mould and not try to rip me.

This is the 12mm center I mentioned in my last blog, I have not asked but they may be able to make the centers to 7/16" for the lower arms as fitted. I had to grind the nuts off mine as there was no way I could get them to turn so 12mm is ideal.
If anyone reading has been looking for a set of rear poly bushes for their car then please give Flo-flex a ring and voice your interest for when my set have been made and fitted, it may gee them along a bit. 0044 (0)1745360070

I have managed to carry on with a few other bits despite my wife wanting a bit of attention.
First was that last wing, I got the wire wheel on it and hiding under the old underseal was a lovely hole.
Hole in wing
I have sprayed the inside of the holed box section with rust converter before welding a patch on and given it a good coat of chassis black, once covered with undercoat it will be invisible.
welded patch Ok I'm not the best mig welder
It was the same story in the rear corner of the inner wing as it was with the other side in that there was a hole cut into the steel section when it was formed, I have filled the holes in on both sides using gutter sealant which is designed to stop water ingress so no more problems from that area and I would advise all to check, a very vulnerable spot.
So that is the the whole of the back section painted upto the gearbox.
rear underside painted
 Next is the gearbox, I remembered reading the latest thread in the club tech forum about gearbox removal and checked it out again. Lots of info in here, mainly the answer to my question of which type it is, well it's a Ford type 9 box and lots of bits available for this box. I have been on Ebay and searched out a set of new oil seals and found a set from the same business that supplied the diff oil seals. You get 3 seals in a pack, which is just as well because the rear is leaking, the speedo is leaking and there is oil around the front of the box which could be either from the engine or the front seal, don't know yet. Unlike the removal of the diff seal I have splashed out a fiver and bought an oil seal removal tool, so taking these out should be a doddle.
I started with the starter motor; this is quite easy although the top nut is rather difficult to get at, luckily it turned off quite easily.
Starter & electrics
I don't know yet what servicing I can do on this but I have the big boy's book off classic car electrics of which I shall digest avidly.
I still have to drain the gearbox of its oil which I shall do once I find the drain plug, unfortunately my big nose was touching the bottom of the gearbox so I had to raise the car to the last hole on my stands. Very uncomfortable feeling being under a car sitting on a fully extended set of Aldi axle stands so I am off to Halfords tomorrow to buy some jackable heavy duty stands for Christmas and I may see New year (although not in this country).
There are 7 main items to remove before undoing the bell housing bolts; the starter motor (done):  the drive shaft (done): the reverse light (done): the speedo cable (done): the clutch cable (to do) gear stick (to do). the support bracket (to do)
Reverse, speedo and hanger & leaky seal
 The drive shaft I have already removed, just paint mark the flange to the diff and remove the bolts then tap the flange if it doe's not free immediately. Drop down to clear from diff flange and pull out.
The reverse light has a twist connection that is easily undone and just pulls clear.
The speedo cable is a little more involved well it was for me as I did not have circlip pliers of the right size, mine are off the standard size whereas the circlip fitted has very small holes. So it was out with the dremmel and sanding attachment and ruined a good set of pliers to get them to fit. Still its out now
Reverse light removed, speedo leaking
Cable removed
You can see the leaking oil seal which will be replaced.
Well that was about all I have managed today and will carry on tomorrow If I can figure out how to remove the clutch cable, the gear stick and drain it of oil; which is off course all part of the fun.
Well thats all for now as a pint of Guinness has just been put in front of me.
see ya Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment