Monday 8 August 2011

Subframe removal

Hi All
Big job today, the removal of the subframe; never done this before and on my own so extra careful. First job was to re-position the stands, I put these on as far forward of the chassis nearest to the engine as I could with a good piece of timber support under each one. The jack was now positioned under the subframe hopefully to take the weight which it did after a fashion.
I first undid the locking bolt from the steering column to the rack and liberally sprayed with WD40, the upper retaining bolts came out next then the lower one's and this is where it gets tricky as the subframe is not weighted centrally as the arms for the tie rods tend to make it fall forward. A quick insertion of a screwdriver into the upper bolt hole saved the day, if ever removed again or when I replace it I shall find some method of clamping it to the jack or of course get some assistant to hold it.
Once I had stabilized everything it was a doddle I had my homemade trolley ready and got it straight on, may use this for re-fitting, just jack up the trolley. Next job was the removal of the steering rack, this is just four bolts to remove.
The MOT said that the steering was notchy and this was a failure, I have priced a new rack from my local parts supplier and have been quoted around £45 plus vat but have mentioned this to Terry Borton he reckons that it is more than likely to be the U/J's and having had a good look at them I don't doubt he is right. These will be another day job and well greased up.
Subframe
Subframe

Rusted U/J
You can see the state of the underside and the engine from this shot, lot of work there. the U/J shows the corrosion and the other one is in similar condition.

I can finally remove the wishbone, the nearside one has had the upper ball joint renewed at some point as the rivets were gone replaced by bolts, I shall still replace it and clean up the old one as a spare. Once I had drilled out the old rivets it was time for blasting again, I shall leave the subframe for later as it will be a all day job at least.
Upper wishbones
The pic shows the rivets out and new ball joint in place, will do the other one tomorrow.
that's all for one day.
See ya
Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment