Sunday 7 August 2011

Battery box

Hi All
First job is to get started on the battery box, the rust has nicely dried out so a bit of chipping to get the heavy out  then sandblast in my booth. I am fortunate enough to have a blasting shed in the back garden, this is supplied with air from a 3 horse compressor to a home made pressure pot. My hobby before starting this project was sand carving / etching on glass so I have all of the gear on hand. One of my pieces below.

Peacock deep etched and filled with vitrail paint

Once I had blasted the box I painted it with vactan, this is my favourite rust protector and everything I do gets a good coating of this stuff, its used on the rigs, the RN and onboard nearly every ship I have sailed on check it out on http://www.paco-systems.co.uk/pdfs/vactan.pdf
I buy mine on ebay at around £15 a litre. a spray of black paint and its ready to fit.


Need to buy a new battery, I took my old battery down as a sample for size and had it tested. After 3 days charging and one start it was down to 0.82 amps, so new battery bought along with some other essentials.
Battery Lucas LUC038        £41.28
Black waxoil                        £21.50
Engine flush                          £3.90
Silver high temp paint           £6.40
Brake cleaner                      £3.60

The offside holding bracket for the bonnet was all bent so straightened this out and started cleaning the battery box and fuse holder area.
Not much time today to do much more as had an appointment at the docs.
Start again tomorrow
See ya paul

No comments:

Post a Comment