Thursday 7 August 2014

Mud Flaps

Hi

Bit of deja vu today, I had managed to deface the rubber paint on the mud flaps while trying to remove dried on polish spots, I should have cleaned them as soon as I noticed them but typically I left them till later and after a couple of month they weren't going to come clean without a fight.

Unfortunately or should I say stupidly I used a scouring pad which also took of the white rubber paint, O well got to be done.

I jacked up the car and removed the wheel to access the rivets and removed the flap, then cleaned up with sand paper to remove the rest of the logo and scrubbed clean with detergent and a scourer. I then flashed up the computer  and vinyl cutting machine then made up some more templates.

Not easy to see as the material is transparent, I masked up the area and instead of using my air brush as I did last time and had a hell of a job cleaning it I decided on a small roller.

A couple of runs over it drying with the heat gun between coats and it came out all right'ish, not as good as the airbrush as the edges have a little run under, still not bad.

I have at last found a use for the fancy number plate bolts I bought (apart from the number plate) and that was to secure the mud flaps in position.

It now looks as good as it did before I messed up.


The opposite side didn't have the same damage but I still removed it to fit the bolts and during its clean up I decided to sand off the paint and start again.

Its a lot cleaner now and looks a lot fresher.

I also had ago at getting the stereo amplifier to work with my Pure DAB receiver and I was more  than a little surprised when it worked on the first plug in. The pure is designed to work by transmitting the DAB signal directly to a channel on the car radio but it also has a auxy out socket which I used and music started blasting out straight away. Planet Rock of course.
I have the aerial attached to the windscreen and have tucked all of the wires away neatly so I now have music.

I am booked in back at the garage tomorrow to have my tracking checked again, as I mentioned before, the steering wheel was out of centre when I received it back from the garage, it is now centre again as I disconnected the steering column from the rack.

I then straightened the wheel and reconnected.


You can see the rubber boot I fitted when first working on the car as the steering rod knuckles are very susceptible to seizing due to being open to the road dirt and water, a couple of universal boots fitted with a good amount of grease will keep them good for ever.
Anyway, the steering wheel is straight and the wheels look straight not pulling to either side when driving but I want to be doubly sure after working on it so in it goes again and this time I shall be there so I can see how its done.

See ya Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment