Wednesday 21 August 2013

Driving Lights

Hi
Bit more done today.

I started rather early this morning at 0430 as I am still on night shift time and thought I may as well get started early, I had the passenger side section of the dash clamped up with the backing veneer drying so thought I may as well start on that first. I trimmed off the excess veneer and gave both sections a good sanding with the 600 hundred wet and dry then a rub with the scouring pad before 2 more coats of lacquer.
Thats ten coats so far and it is just about ready for a rub with 1500 then a machine polish and wax, it should come up fantastic.
I had second thoughts about the polished stainless that I drilled to use for the warning lights.
I think maybe its a little too bright, so I have ordered the same piece but in 316 brushed stainless, not nearly as bright and it should give just the right touch.

Last week when I was talking about the car with the Graham my watch mate and he suggested fitting a starter button, I said no chance and mocked the idea but then 10 minutes later I had found one and ordered it. It may look a little naff and amazingly I never knew it, but all of my life I have wanted a starter button and now I have one, it will fit it in the center console where the cigarette lighter was. I had originally designated this spot for the choke but shall fit that lower down with the Panther carving.
Also in the photo are 2 smaller push buttons for the fog lights and fan starter.

I have had a couple of welding jobs on today, the first one is something I had been meaning to do over a year ago and that was to fit new sockets for the tie rod bushes. I noticed when I had the front subframe off that the small sockets that center the bushes had rusted away and clean forgot about it, I should have fitted new ones before I had it powder coated.
You can see the upper section of the lip has rusted off which means that the tie rod does not remain central and can move around in the very large hole in the middle by pushing the bushes out of the retaining socket. I made 4 new rings from pieces of pipe while away, these are a bit longer than the very small lip socket and should keep the tie rod central no matter what the car does.
It is very difficult to get into the area so I left the original lip in place and centered the rings on top and tack welded in position, I was a shame to scrape through the powder coating but needs must.
I have only been able to tack in a few places but this should be ample.
I have done both sided and instead of a paint finish I have coated everything in waxoil which should protect the steel from rusting.

The other welding job was fitting the driving lights.
I was a little worried about what I thought was pitting on the lights.
But was amazed when I put them on the polishing machine that what I thought was pitting just disappeared and the chrome underneath was in perfect condition, these lights are around 25 years old and only cost around £35 for the pair on ebay.
They are Lucas FT/LR 14 lamps and the quality is amazing.
I had made the brackets so these just needed marking off and drilling, I then positioned where I thought looked best and tacked on.
When happy I welded on then polished the welds on my bench polisher, they are not perfect but no one will notice the odd scratch.
The lamps got bolted on then I sat back to admire them, I also wired up and fitted the second headlight lamp this morning and got that back on, these all need to come off again for the final machine polish then glazing before waxing but till then they are out of the way.
I also hope to get my wheels back soon, Ant did bring them around yesterday but one look and he realised that they were the wrong colour, we don't know what happened as the colour swatch for the 2 pac paint was a perfect match and he reckons that an error was made in the mixing at the suppliers so all of the work he put in was wasted.
I have, as was to be expected chipped and scratched the paint work, only small bits of damage but I want them fixed and to learn how to do it myself, so to that end I purchased a Litre bottle of Captain Morgans spiced rum at the airport duty free and have used this as a bribe for Mick the sprayer at the paint shop to come around tonight after work and to show me the correct way to repair stone chips and small scratches. So todays work is not over.

see ya Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment