Wednesday 3 July 2013

Coming Home

Hi
I started the day in the sand blasting cabinet, I thought I would try and get a few parts ready for colour coding while I am away, the main parts that needed blasting were the headlights. I have bought a set of chrome but thought it a waste to throw away the originals so I set about overhauling them, I mentioned these once before, about how the securing nut had to be cut off to remove one side, well Terry B suggested I try S.V.C which I did and a pair of the special bolt sets duly arrived, only £7 inc p+p a pair.
The headlights were a little rusty both inside and out, so I blasted them clean along with the swivel bases and shall have these done in the red colour.

I also blasted the door locking plates and have these primed and painted black.

When finished I took a drive down to the paint shop to see what needed doing and was really pleased to see that Rob had completed the machine polishing and all that was left was to hand polish the edges next to the wing piping, this was not done in case the rubber got damaged. I have been doing all of the hand polishing so I thought I may as well do it at home as do it there, so I decided to get the car home. Just one call and 1/2 hour later the pick up truck arrived and the car was on its way home.

Just a few reminders.
Car first arriving August 2011
Car heading for paint shop last month
And arriving back home today., with the truck owner.

I drove it up the road to turn it around and it goes like a rocket, one thing I noticed is that it slows right down when I released the accelerator pedal, whether that is a clutch adjustment or carb I don't know yet and will have to investigate. For now though its just a matter of trying to clean the car.



As soon as the handbrake was on I had the pressure washer out and started by removing the front wheels and doing the underside then the same with the rear until all of the paint shop dust was gone. I have bought 2 tins of stone chip from Ant the paint shop boss and shall recover all of the sides and under wings with this.I was about a quarter way through cleaning the engine bay when the mail arrived with the door seals, so into the garage with the car.

I have built up the second door with the new quarterlight seal in place but I had great difficulty in getting it to sit under the quarterlight straight, in the end I just tightened it down and said sod it, I am probably the only one that will notice its not perfectly straight.
I shall put the window seals in tomorrow and got some tips from Terry B on the method and dangers of fitting these clips, I also noticed that the door opening part of the lock does not return under its own spring tension, that's the bit in through the oblong hole you can see, so that will have to come of again to check and possibly just grease.

Well lots and lots to do, the list just goes on.

see ya Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment