Friday 10 May 2013

Priming

Hi
Well I have spent most of the day in the paint shop working on the rear wings and doors, most of that time was spent sanding and filling. The lads in the shop had plenty of work on so it was down to me, which I did not mind one bit.

The rear wings were no problem as there was very little damage so just a few little areas to fill, I blacked the wings out with a shadow / guide coat and rubbed everything down with 180 grit. The drivers wing had already had this treatment from me a few months ago so required very little work, the passenger side had only one coat so required a little more work.
The main work for the day was the doors, the passenger door had a slight bump to the skin on the very  bottom so my mission was to get rid of it. 
I used a DA sander to take the paint off along the bottom and up popped a rust hole that was not visible from the surface as it hadn't developed yet.
The bump is in the middle of the door at the very bottom and the rust hole is to the left at the bottom. I used a grinder on the steel of the door skin until I reached the main rust area and ground it out. The bump was really just a dint from behind the door, I used a tin smith's hammer and tapped down as best I could and sanded the material away until I had it virtually smooth. I mixed up a batch of filler and thinly filled in the sanded down area and the marks from the hammer.
I had a bit of a problem with the other door as the rust problem I had where the quarter light enter's the door had come back, I thought I had got rid of the rust but I guess not. I was a bit more aggressive with it this time and ground right down until I found the source and removed it. 
I treated both rust problems with rust converter and let it soak in to reach any areas I may have missed, unfortunately I never took a photograph, I either forgot to, or was to embarrassed about missing it the first time around. I filled the ground area with the aluminium filler and sanded back, this took a couple of fills to get it level. The same area on the other door was fine I guess I got it right on that one.

I does not seem much for a day's work but as I am still a beginner it took a bit longer than the pro's.
I rubbed everything down with panel wipe and Mick got stuck in and gave them a couple of coats of primer.
  Rear wings, looking good.
Passenger door, all filled and rubbed down.
Drivers door, hopefully I have cured the rust problem.
Unfortunately I won't be here to see the blocking off of these parts or the paint going on as I am away back to work on Sunday, but I shall give my camera to one of the lads there and hopefully he will remember to take some photo's.

Well that me back to work on Sunday, hopefully all of the paint work will be finished  on my next leave.

See ya Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment