Thursday 5 April 2012

Water hoses & Head conversion

Hi
Back again and hopefully for a 3 week leave, rotation changes have given me an extra week off on pay but as sure as eggs are eggs I'll end up having to pay for it somehow.
Its been 2 weeks of spending while away and over a £1000 spent as I am hoping to get the engine fitted this time home and a whole lot of work to do before hand. 
First off was the upper and lower hoses these would have been a bit difficult to track down but after doing a little search work on the Panther club tech area and comparing the photos with what I have it was easy. I found these as always on eBay, this is a great place to find obscure classic items as there are loads of sellers selling new old car parts.
Top off the picture is a Ford Fiesta 1976 onwards hose, it is the bottom hose from the radiator to the engine, this is an original Motorcraft item  EKF 255. £2.49 + p+p
The middle hose is the upper radiator hose and is from an Austin Allegro (first car I ever drove) and is from the 1500, 1750 (1973 - 79) model, this is a QH item RH1157. £6.99 + p+p
The bottom hose is the thermostat by-pass hose I bought last month from Tickover.
I found no problem locating any of these hoses so hopefully there will be plenty around for many more years to come or if you are forward thinking then get em while you still can.
There are a number of different size hose clips used for the hoses so I have bought a selection of 30 stainless clips in 3 sizes to suit them.
The fuel system needs renewing so I have bought new Nitrile fuel hoses and whole load of Mikalor spring clips, the copper supply pipe is fine as you would expect but the rubber hose has perished. I also bought a nice chrome fuel filter
The engine bay is a big priority and all of the hoses will be examined and if necessary will be replaced, the rest of the hoses are available from Halfords in metre lengths so no need to order.
I have also bought the stainless bolts for the rocker covers and the bell housing.
The rust and scale in the heads and engine block water galleries have been a bit of a worry, I had written to a business called L.B Restoration asking if an item of there's was suitable for getting rid of the rust and they where kind enough to put me on to a rust remover by Bilt Hamber called Deox C which is suitable.
This is a rust remover not a converter, I have had a go and have mixed a very strong solution and believe it from a person who uses a lot of different acid cleaners, it's strong stuff. 
I have plugged and taped over all of the holes on the engine and heads as best I can and have filled with the solution, it will probably be empty by the morning with the odd drip here and there but hopefully it will have done its job. I shall wash out the galleries and heads tomorrow and see just how good it is.
That's about the only physical work I have done today as most of it was spent driving around the north of England collecting my heads and the powder coated items.
The heads look good although they never bead blasted them as they said they would, that's most likely because I cleaned them so well they thought it not necessary. It cost £300 for the conversion, expensive but I am very pleased I had it done.

The hardened inserts are difficult to see as they are designed to be very small as the big problem found in un-leading these heads is that there is very little metal between the galleries and the exhaust ports and it is very easy when machining the recess to cut through ruining the head.
Very nice job.
As I have said I have also picked up the latest batch of powder coating, which includes the sump, engine mounts and water connections which shall be fitted once the galleries have been cleaned out.
I have spoken to John Wade again and have sent a cheque for my Webber DGAS and hopefully shall receive this sometime after Easter.
Another buy has been with Europa spares, I had a good chat with the tech guy there and have bought a 52mm VDO 5bar oil pressure gauge with a sender unit and tee piece so I can connect both the sender and the oil pressure warning light. I have also asked about chrome bezels for the VDO gauges, Europa do the 52mm bezels but not unfortunately the 80mm one's for the speed and tacho but being very helpful he is going to try and track them down for me.
Another of the important items is the electric fan, I have chosen a Pacet Clovafan Club kit 367mm 14" at £145, I chose the kit over the basic fan as it includes the capillary thermostat, wiring and fixing kit. I have also bought the Thermostat adapter at £16.90, this adapter T piece is connected in the hose between the radiator and engine which you have to cut to allow the adapter to fit in. Without this you are required to slip the thermostat into the hose before fitting to the radiator with the capillary tube sticking out and hope it seals when you tighten the clip, much neater with the adapter.
I am hoping to get started properly tomorrow although Lynne has decided that this leave should be spent decorating and has decided that the Living room Dining room and the Hall are to be decorated so looks like I have two jobs.
Se ya
Paul

1 comment:

  1. Like the red paul, you have been working hard since we last spoke, word of advice, decorate the living room it will get u many browny point, and we all need browny points, store them for a rainy day

    Steve

    ReplyDelete