Wednesday 26 June 2013

And the other wing

Hi
Another very busy day getting the other wing fitted, but first I had to finish riveting the rear wing on the passenger side it didn't get finished yesterday as I needed my right angle drill attachment to get into the tight spaces.
I jacked the car up and removed the wheel to improve access then a simple matter of drilling through and riveting.
Once complete here I moved onto the drivers side, this side if anyone remembers is the one with the replacement rear wing fitted in 1988 and was a little shorter than the passenger side but only around 15mm.
I attempted moving it back to be in the correct position but it sent the front out and caused more of a problem, so I shall live with it.
I started by fitting the step and the front support, I also bolted on the headlight bracket but this is not as good a fit as the passenger side as it sits with a gap on one side and no positioning could get it better. I shall pack it out before tightening on the headlight to prevent distortion.
Because I used filler on the mounting area for the rear wing, all of the rivet holes also got filled, so I had no positioning reference to work from. I bolted the wing onto the step and with a clamp I positioned it where I thought was best.
I then moved onto the front wing and positioned it onto the front arm before bolting to the step.
I did not have to put rivets in the step as with the other side as the rubber did not squeeze out, once all tight I got the lads to assist and we lifted the complete assembly onto supports and run the double sided tape along the edge.
I then ran the wing piping along the tape and again with the help of everyone available we lifted the wings into position and got the steps bolted on.
I clamped the rear wing onto the body and started by getting the very front into position and got the first rivet in then worked back towards the step.

Once the front wing was secured and the step tightened up I drilled through the original holes in the rear wing into the body and started riveting. I dipped each rivet in waxoil before fitting, something I never did on the passenger side which I will rectify tomorrow by drilling out the one's I've fitted and replacing them. This should prevent any action between the steel and the aluminium.
Well that's both wings fitted although there is still a huge amount to do in the paint shop before I can take it home, but that's tomorrow.

See ya Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment