Thursday 24 November 2011

Thursday 24/11/11

Hi
Back again for a weeks leave, I did a 3 week trip again as one of the lads went sick; lucky me. That's 3 weeks overtime since I bought the car and over 3/4's of my expected budget covered, 1 more extra week and I'll be looking at side exhausts.
While away I have been trolling through ebay looking for some bargains and managed to pick up a few, the best being an original pair of Boge oil filled rear shocks for a Vauxhall Magnum. These are the shocks fitted to the Lima and will also fit the Kallista, unfortunately on trying them I found the bush holes larger than those fitted at 15mm where the Kallista has a 12mm bolt, still; not a problem as I just need to fit stainless steel inserts which I have already sorted, only cost £40 plus p&p. I was going to buy the Spax adjustable but having saved over £100 by buying originals I am well happy I shall also get a comfy ride instead of a sporty one.

I also got a bit indulgent and bought a Panther sculpture to fit on the new grill when I fit it, cost a bit more than I was hoping but they do look good.

I was also wondering where to go to to buy new front brake caliper shims, pins and clips, well I finally found the Tech page on the Panther car club web site. I new there was one somewhere as I had read references to it but could never find it, then I finally looked in the Jump To drop down section and there at the bottom was the link to the Tech page. It is full of useful info including an article posted by Terry Borton on where to buy the shim kit and the number on ebay. So here it is for all.
Ebay # 310353988329
Shim kit
The rear axle is a modified Capri 2.8 Atlas which are still well catered for, so finding a Pinion oil seal and gasket for the diff was easy enough, I went for the upgraded seal and gasket on the premise that if its good enough for a rally car then its good enough for a Sunday driver like me. Just hope it fits.
Pinion seal Ebay address
Diff gasket Ebay address
Pinion oil seal & gasket
I also picked up an original Cortina void bush removal fitting tool for a fiver, very lucky as I have spent the afternoon removing the void bushes and it would have been a much harder job without it. When this job is done and anyone needs to borrow then just let me know.
Cortina void bush removal tool
I have been in contact with Terry about rear bushes for the Kallista and found that Deflex supplied a set of bushes for the car, unfortunately Deflex are no longer with us as they were bought up by Flo-flex. I have been in contact with Flo-flex and sent off a sample of the rear bushes, there are 3 different bushes fitted. The axle and upper arm are Cortina void bushes both slightly different, the Panhard rod and the lower arm bushes are of the bobbin type and are of the same size. I have posted the sample set today on next day delivery so hopefully i shall get a call soon saying they can supply, I hope so as the bobbin bushes get slightly distorted when removed as a lot of force is required so I doubt they will be able to be re-fitted. with this being a bit of a worry I have left the other ones in position until I get a ya or na. Which means my trip to the powder coaters is delayed.
Another problem that I have found is that the top of the springs have a rubber interface fitted between the spring and chassis contact, this is riveted on, I could unfold the rivet and remove the rubber but it could cause damage. So I'm thinking of sandblasting and spraying these myself as I don't think they will like the powder coater's oven.
Rear springs
You can see the rubber on the top and under the top turn of the spring.
Not much done today, but will crack on tomorrow.
See ya Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment