Sunday 27 October 2013

Heater & Underlay

Hi
Didn't think I would get much done today with it being a Sunday, but my parents are on holiday and Lynne has taken to her bed with flu symptoms so back to work.

First job was to drag the heater unit out of storage and try to figure out how to re-fit it, first problem was to find all of the bits and after searching for half an hour I found the lost piece was still attached to the car, such fun.
You can see in the photo the cowl fitted to the top of the heater, I could not fit this originally as I had re-built the fan unit the wrong way around when I refurbished it and the wires were facing the wrong way for the cowl cutout. I stripped it down and re-positioned it in the correct position, I also took the opportunity to test it again and it worked great. I then screwed  the cowl into position, there was a bit of a gap around the edges so I siliconed these up. 
The bottom of the housing sits on the tunnel and positioned by a bracket.
This was originally riveted on so I tapped the holes to 6mm and bolted it in position.
The 2 brackets you can see on the fan housing clip over 2 studs on a chassis crossmember, the cowl fits through the cutout in the scuttle and the plastic cover is siliconed over the protruding cowl section.
You can see the fan in position when I test fit it, once I fit the carpet I can then get it bolted on tight.

I had another search on the internet this morning for the veneer softener recipe, the one I found uses
2 parts wood glue
3 parts water
1 part glycerine
1 part denatured alcohol
I was a bit unsure where I could find the alcohol and found the answer on the internet and in the bathroom cabinet, one of its uses is as nail varnish remover.
I marked of a small spray bottle into segments and measured out each ingredient and gave it a test.
I used a bit of the scarp red maple, this is quite stiff being a burl and doesn't want to bend too easily.
This was the max I could get it to go, I gave it a good spray both sides and after a few hours I gave it another test.
I shall give it another test in the morning and I may be lucky.

The main job I wanted to get started on today was the underlay, I bought a roll of jute around 2m square quite a while ago and it has just been sitting in the loft.
This was the material that I removed from the car and the decision to reuse this basically came down to price, there are a lot more modern underlays / soundproofers on the market but it would have run into a couple of hundred to do the whole car whereas the jute was around £70 for the roll. It does have the problem of smelling a bit when wet, so I hopefully won't get it wet.
I started with the centre section, I measured up and marked it out on the roll.
Unfortunately the width was a few inches short but no problem I can fit a little piece in place.
I made the cuts for all of the sticky out bits and test fit.
I also fit a couple of screws to locate the centre console attachment holes.
Next came a couple of side sections, I shall be doing the sides in 3 parts to save on waste and the first section where cut and glued into position along with the centre section.
Well not much done today but more than I thought, I have a service in the Merc tomorrow so will get started again when I return.

see Ya Paul



No comments:

Post a Comment