Friday 8 February 2013

Sill

Hi
Home again and back to work.

I decided on a few changes while away, mostly to do with the spoiler and the step sill's.
Firstly I have decided  to dump the spoiler idea, looked good but did not fit. Nothing wrong with the spoiler it cleaned up great and it fit perfect on one side unfortunately one side of the car is Dr Jekyll and the other side is Mr Hyde
You can see the shape, thickness and roundness of the passenger wing. Dr Jekyll
Bit of a difference on the drivers side, which is the problem. Mr Hyde
So anyone want a spoiler.

I also decided that after all of the time and money spent on the car, that using the vinyl wrapped wing piping would be something I would regret every time I looked at it. So I bit the bullet and bought the rubber version.
After cutting slits in the flange section the piping bends lovely.
It cost over £50 for the vinyl wrapped but it would not take a sharp bend.
So anyone want 10mt's of 6mm vinyl wrapped wing piping.

The next change is the sill's that where originally part of the step cover, I cut these off and was going to re-fit them unfortunately I realised that the lower flange section would be to short to accept the flange section of the wing piping and I would not be able to seal it properly.
It really needed to drop down the full length of the car chassis rails and the step bolted directly onto it, this will allow the piping flange to be trapped between them and seal. So on the first day home I went to my local sheet metal shop and had them make up two sills in 2mm galvanised plate and have just picked them up today.
I have spent the afternoon cutting out the excess material to fit to the body work and fitting the drivers side.
I painted the back of the sill with waxoil then sealed all the edges with sikoflex and riveted into position, I also temporarily bolted it tight on with the step bolts.
This also has the benefit of closing the gaps that where created by the ill fitting original as I had these bent to the correct size.
Once the wings and steps are fitted you wont notice that there has been any changes especially when covered in underseal.
I have also got on with other bits and pieces while waiting for the sills, mostly the little jobs like sandblasting all of the rusty parts. These are the door hinges and I am hoping to have them powder coated along with the steps, just hoping the hinges will move after the powder coating.
I have also stripped all of the shiny bits of the car and have been attempting without success to remove the windscreen wiper drives in preparation for the paint job, any clues?
 
The paint guy I mentioned last time has been around to have a look at the car and to decide on how to do it, he has made a few suggestions which I am more than happy to go along with as he has over 30 years of experience building hot rods and restoring all kinds of cars so any thing he suggests I am more than willing to go along with.
His first suggestion was to scrap the idea of candy paint, basically there is no need to use candy as there are more modern paints that give the same effect but without the problems involved in the prep and spraying. I am waiting for the test colour panel being sprayed, I am going for a sparkly red and pearlescent white with the white coming from the bonnet and down to the rear wing in the style of the Austin Healey.
Well thats the idea.
 
See ya Paul
 

No comments:

Post a Comment