Monday 17 December 2012

Wing Piping

Hi
The weekend has been spent Christmas shopping but I managed to squeeze some work in.

Very pleased to say that the wing piping arrived at last but not to sure that I have bought the correct kind, what has arrived is great and is just what I want but it has a bit of a problem.
I bought 10mts of 5/16" from Woolies for around £56 inc p+p, I ordered the vinyl wrapped shinny which I thought would contrast great with the candy paint, unfortunately the damb stuff don't bend, it takes a lovely curve but refuses to ride up the back wing without crumpling. So it looks like I shall have to live with it and accept it as part of the design.
So if at any time in the future I replace it or do another car then I shall buy solid rubber piping.
Other than the crumple it looks great, I tried a test fit to see what it was like.
Which is the reason why I can't return it; as to get it to turn up the rear wing I had to snip the flange area into sections to allow for the bend.
It was rather difficult to fit the piping single handed especially in a tight garage with no room to maneuver but after a bit of swearing I managed it.
It really does look great and after a bit of work I managed to get it to bend around the rear wing, I still need to do a lot of work on the body where the wing meets the step as there is quite a gap.
Before polishing the stainless I thought I would get a little practice in with a bit of scrap.
I started with the sisal wheel and the grey bar which I have learnt is to be used when very dull and it is also possible to introduce scratches, which is what happened.
Still it brought up a bit of a shine.
Next was with the colored mop and the brown rouge which brought it up a lot more.
With a bit of perseverance.
Then onto the soft cotton wheel with the fine green rouge.
Wow what a difference, it came up great so I thought I would have a go with the stainless step.
I missed out the 1st stage with the course sisal wheel and started with the soft cloth wheel and green rouge, I did some areas with the medium wheel and brown rouge and it came out quite well although I shall spend a bit more time on it to bring out a mirror finish.
This is the area that need the filling work done but plenty of time to get it right.

I shall start on the other side tomorrow and hopefully it will fit as well as this side.

see ya Paul

 



 

1 comment: